1899, The world’s first jukebox was installed at San Francisco’s Palais Royal Saloon. It was constructed by the Pacific Phonograph Company. Four stethoscope-like tubes were attached to an Edison Class M electric phonograph fitted inside an oak cabinet. The tubes operated individually, each being activated by the insertion of a coin, meaning that four different listeners could be plugged in to the same song simultaneously.The machine was originally called the “nickel-in-the-slot player” by Louis Glass, the entrepreneur who installed it at the Palais Royal. It later came to be known as the jukebox.
- photo and info passed along by Benjamin Barr